Profile - the Ferdinand-Braun-Institut
The Ferdinand-Braun-Institut gGmbH, Leibniz-Institut fuer Hoechstfrequenztechnik (FBH) researches electronic and optical components, modules and systems based on compound semiconductors.
Specifically, FBH develops light sources from the visible to the ultra-violet spectral range: high-power diode lasers with excellent beam quality, UV light sources and hybrid laser modules. Applications range from medical technology, high-precision metrology and sensors to optical communications in space and integrated quantum technology. In the field of microwaves, FBH develops high-efficiency multi-functional power amplifiers and millimeter wave frontends targeting energy-efficient mobile communications, industrial sensing and imaging as well as car safety systems.
Know-how & complete solutions from a single source - from design to protoypes suited for industrial use
The FBH is a center of competence for III-V compound semiconductors covering the full range of capabilities, from design through fabrication to device characterization. Within Research Fab Microelectronics Germany (Forschungsfabrik Mikroelektronik Deutschland), FBH joins forces with 12 other German research institutes, thus offering the complete micro and nanoelectronics value chain as a one-stop-shop.
In close cooperation and strategic partnerships with industry, FBH's research results lead to cutting-edge products. The institute also successfully turns innovative product ideas into spin-off companies. With its Prototype Engineering Lab, the institute strengthens its cooperation with customers in industry by turning excellent research results into market-oriented products, processes, and services.
- We explore cutting-edge technologies for innovative applications in the fields of high frequency electronics, photonics and integrated quantum technology. As a center of competence for III-V compound semiconductors, we are part of a worldwide network and achieve research results advancing the international state-of-the-art.
- We offer complete solutions as a one-stop agency - from design to ready-to-ship modules.
- We work closely cross-linked with the scientific community - including university cooperations (Joint Labs), strategic networks, and international projects.
- In strategic partnerships with industry, we transfer our research results into cutting-edge products and thus ensure German technological leadership in RF electronics and photonics. By means of spin-off companies, we bring innovative product ideas into the market.
- We provide high-value products and services for our customers that are tailored to fit their individual needs.
- We offer our employees a stable, attractive and family-friendly working environment with interesting tasks and career prospects. To maintain top-level expertise we guide, assist and encourage young scientists and train our staff.
- We specifically aim at increasing the proportion of female specialists and executive staff in the technical and scientific area and actively assist foreign colleagues with their integration.